An easy paper craft to celebrate Chinese New Year, including a free printable.
This dancing paper dragon is a fun way to learn about Chinese New Year (which falls this year at the end of January).
The folded paper plate rocking base means that it doubles as a card, so you could send it to a friend with a message inside.
To make a dancing Dragon Craft for Chinese New Year, you will need:
– a paper plate, or thick card circle (you can use this template)
– coloured paper (traditionally red)
– a black pen
– googly eyes (optional)
– a pipe-cleaner (optional)
– this free printable dragon template and this one too
– stickers and /or glitter (optional)
AGE: young children and up
TIME: 20-30 minutes
How-to make a dancing Dragon Craft for Chinese New Year:
- Fold your paper plate (or card circle) in half to form the rocking (or ‘dancing’) base
- Print your 2 dragons (left and right-facing) on to the coloured card
- Cut carefully around the dragons (I found this easiest to do both at the same time)
- Decorate your dragon with scales, stickers, glitter, or anything else you like
- Stick your dragons to the rocking base (one on each side) and to each other at the top (head and back – see photo above for guidance)
- OPTIONAL: add googly eyes
- OPTIONAL: add a pipe-cleaner moustache by making a hole in the dragon’s nostril and threading the pipe-cleaner through, then folding in half at the midpoint and shaping the rest into a curl/spiral.
- Check that your dragon ‘dances’ (i.e. it rocks back and forth nicely. If it is too front-heavy (which it may be with the added weight of the pipe-cleaner), simply tape a penny inside the rocking base at the tail end. It should now ‘dance’ properly.
More Chinese New Year crafts from some of my favourite bloggers: