An easy recipe that kids can help make (and decorate) for someone they love.
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Here’s a delicious recipe for almond and raspberry ‘love’ cake that I recently guest-posted at Red Ted Art (using dessicated coconut instead of ground almonds). You can choose to make this as a tray bake, or cupcakes (the mixture is a sponge base, so works for both) and it’s so easy, even very small children can help with the baking and decorating. As we all know, the way to a man (and a toddler)’s heart, is through their stomach!
To make Almond and Raspberry love cake, you will need:
For the cake
– 175g self-raising flour
– 2 heaped tablespoons of ground almonds
– 140g caster sugar
– 140g soft butter (if you’re like me and forget to take it out of the fridge, just pop it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds)
– ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
– 2 large eggs
– approx. 4 tablespoons of milk
– 120g fresh or frozen raspberries
For the icing:
– 300g icing sugar
– 100g soft butter
– zest of ½ a lemon
– a few drops of pink food colouring (or 1 drop of red)
– OPTIONAL: Some red ready-to roll fondant icing
– OPTIONAL: Chocolate chips, hundreds and thousands or similar.
How-to make Almond and Raspberry Love Cake:
- Beat all the cake ingredients except the raspberries together until light and fluffy
- Fold in the raspberries and spoon the mixture into a small (approx. 20cm x 30cm), lined baking tray, OR 12x cupcake cases.
- Bake in the oven for 12-18 minutes (the tray bake will need slightly longer than the cupcakes, but keep an eye on them, as with all baking)!
- Meanwhile, beat the icing sugar, butter, food colouring and lemon zest together until smooth. If the icing is too thick and not combining, add a tiny bit of warm water.
- Once the cake is ready, leave to cool completely, then ice.
- OPTIONAL: for the tray bake, you can roll out the fondant/sugarpaste icing and use cookie cutters to write a message, or add heart shapes.
- OPTIONAL: for the cupcakes you can add chocolate chips or sprinkles.
Pickle helped to bake this and it was definitely made with love… x