Craft ideas for kids: How to make a feather headdress
One of the fastest craft ideas for kids – a simple yet beautiful no-sew feather headdress (plus some more fun carnival craft ideas for kids)!
The Notting Hill Carnival takes place in London this Sunday (featuring steel bands, dancing, colourful costumes and delicious Caribbean food). Inspired by this, we decided to make Nonno Bear a feather headdress (which would also fit a toddler)!
You will need:
- feathers (assorted colours and lengths – we found the longer ones during a wander around the village)
- 2x lengths of thick (2cm width) ribbon
- 1x length of thinner ribbon (optional)
- glue gun
AGE: young kids up
TIME: 10 minutes
- Measure your child (or your bear)’s head. Double that measurement and cut 2x lengths of thick (2cm width) ribbon, plus one length of a thinner, contrasting ribbon (optional).
- Lay one of the thick lengths of ribbon out flat and mark the centre.
- Place the feathers onto the ribbon and rearrange until you’re happy with the effect. Place the longest feathers in the centre and graduate to the smallest as you work outwards. Once you are happy, use your glue gun to stick the feathers to the ribbon. Layer the different colours and work quickly, or your glue will set before you have finished.
- Glue the other length of thick ribbon on top of the feathers and stick it to most of the first length of ribbon, leaving the ends loose.
- (optional) glue the thinner length of ribbon to the centre of the upper (2nd length) of thick ribbon, again leaving the ends loose.
- Allow to dry, then tie around temples and PARTY..!
Some more carnival craft ideas for kids:
- How to make a ‘Dudup’ steel drum from a large coffee or olive oil can (tutorial by Toucans)
- How to make beautiful dress-up wings (tutorial by Pretty Prudent)
Psst… here’s a few more craft ideas for kids that Nonno bear enjoyed: beaded bracelet making, a Build-a-Bear waistcoat tutorial and washi tape festival ID wristband. Enjoy the weekend!
9 thoughts on “Craft ideas for kids: How to make a feather headdress”
This teddy looks ready for an adventure with his owner? Hope they had fun!
Oh yes – Nonno bear is rarely left out of Pickle’s adventuring, except when he is too tired to get out of bed..! 😉
This is exactly why I need to get a glue gun 🙂
I can’t believe you haven’t got one!! Mine was under £5 from Amazon and came with 2 free glue sticks. Make it a push present to yourself… 😉
This is so sweet! forget the teddies and the toddlers – I am making one for me, lol 😀
Yes! Carnival party time!! 😉
Nonno Bear looks fab! My little girl loves feathers, so I may just have to do this! Thanks for sharing! #pintorials
Thanks Lou! It’s one of the easiest crafts we’ve done 🙂
Pingback: Fabulous feather crafts - Hodge Podge Craft