DIY Alternative Advent Calendar
Last year we made this DIY alternative advent calendar using paper cups which was a big hit with the boys!
This year I wanted to do something similar (i.e. activities instead of chocolate), but by recycling Christmas cards from last year into tiny boxes with Christmas activities inside them.
To make a DIY alternative advent calendar, you will need:
- 24 square (used) Christmas cards from last year
- a pair of scissors
- a pen or pencil
- a ruler
- lots of fine ribbon (we used white)
- plain paper, card and a printer
- a large glass container (it doesn’t have to be glass, but I think it’s nice to see all the colours, patterns and pictures together)
How to make a DIY alternative advent calendar:
- Make 24 tiny lidded boxes from your old Christmas cards, using this video tutorial (it’s easy, I promise). This part is quite time-consuming, but you can do it in front of the TV!
- Print out some pretty number tags (you can find these for free at Ellie Fun Day) onto card and cut them out.
- Print out some fun numbered inserts from Wissenswuerze on paper. Cut out and hand write a Christmas activity on each one. If you need some ideas of activities to include, you can see 30 of ours here.
- Fold your paper inserts and put one inside each box, then tie it with ribbon, including a card number tag. It’s really important to keep a record of which activity you have put into which box, unless you have an amazing memory, or you want it to be a surprise to you too..!
- Pile all your boxes into a large glass vase or bowl. They make a great table centre and our kids are already SUPER excited at the thought of being able to start opening them soon…
Merry Christmas! x
(Visited 193 times, 1 visits today)
3 thoughts on “DIY Alternative Advent Calendar”
Great idea and looks so pretty! x
Thank you Laura! We opened the first one today (put the Christmas books onto the bookshelf and read a few of our favourites) – a great way to start feeling Christmassy 😉
Pingback: The Ultimate list of Christmas craft ideas - Hodge Podge Craft