I came up with the idea for this DIY jolly roger flag craft for Pickle’s pirate party because I wanted something mess-free and easy enough for toddlers to make (which they could then take home in their goodie bags). I had already bought black felt to make Pickle’s hat and I always have googly eyes and sparkly stars in the craft cupboard, so I put together this mini flag making activity.
To set up a DIY jolly roger flag craft, you will need:
– double sided sticky tape
– A4 (approx size) sheets of black felt (one per party guest)
– sticky labels (optional, but advisable if you have lots of guests)!
– large felt scraps in other colours
– sticky-backed googly eyes
– self-adhesive stars or similar
– shallow trays (recycle food containers?) – optional
– mini jolly roger template (free printable here: 4x jolly rogers A4)
COST: a few quid
AGE: toddlers and up
TIME: 1 hour or more
How to make a DIY jolly roger flag:
- Take one black sheet of felt for each party guest (label these if you have lots of guests to save confusion later). These will form the ‘base’ of each flag.
- Download the free printable jolly roger template (above) and cut simple jolly roger shapes out of different coloured felt scraps. If you want to offer your party guests a choice of colours, cut out plenty of extras, rather than just one each, but this is quite time-consuming, so you might want to ask friends and family members to help cutting them out…
- Cut strips of double sided sticky tape and stick them on the back of each jolly roger shape.
- Set out a table with the flag bases laid out and plenty of googly eyes and stars (or other sticky-backed shapes) in shallow trays and let the kids create their own flags. Pickle & his younger guests tended to put the googly eyes on the ‘chin’ of the jolly roger, making it look more like a frog (see below – much cuter than a skull and cross-bones)! Everyone seemed to enjoy crafting and there was almost no mess to clear up afterwards (just the backing paper pieces).
P.S. HOW CUTE are the little pirates? I just love that everyone dressed up and got into the pirate party spirit!