Almond and Raspberry Love Cake recipe
An easy recipe that kids can help make (and decorate) for someone they love.
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Here’s a delicious recipe for almond and raspberry ‘love’ cake that I recently guest-posted at Red Ted Art (using dessicated coconut instead of ground almonds). You can choose to make this as a tray bake, or cupcakes (the mixture is a sponge base, so works for both) and it’s so easy, even very small children can help with the baking and decorating. As we all know, the way to a man (and a toddler)’s heart, is through their stomach!
To make Almond and Raspberry love cake, you will need:
For the cake
– 175g self-raising flour
– 2 heaped tablespoons of ground almonds
– 140g caster sugar
– 140g soft butter (if you’re like me and forget to take it out of the fridge, just pop it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds)
– ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
– 2 large eggs
– approx. 4 tablespoons of milk
– 120g fresh or frozen raspberries
For the icing:
– 300g icing sugar
– 100g soft butter
– zest of ½ a lemon
– a few drops of pink food colouring (or 1 drop of red)
– OPTIONAL: Some red ready-to roll fondant icing
– OPTIONAL: Chocolate chips, hundreds and thousands or similar.
How-to make Almond and Raspberry Love Cake:
- Beat all the cake ingredients except the raspberries together until light and fluffy
- Fold in the raspberries and spoon the mixture into a small (approx. 20cm x 30cm), lined baking tray, OR 12x cupcake cases.
- Bake in the oven for 12-18 minutes (the tray bake will need slightly longer than the cupcakes, but keep an eye on them, as with all baking)!
- Meanwhile, beat the icing sugar, butter, food colouring and lemon zest together until smooth. If the icing is too thick and not combining, add a tiny bit of warm water.
- Once the cake is ready, leave to cool completely, then ice.
- OPTIONAL: for the tray bake, you can roll out the fondant/sugarpaste icing and use cookie cutters to write a message, or add heart shapes.
- OPTIONAL: for the cupcakes you can add chocolate chips or sprinkles.
Pickle helped to bake this and it was definitely made with love… x
33 thoughts on “Almond and Raspberry Love Cake recipe”
Awwwww! Those pics with the chefs hat! Cake looks lovely too 🙂
Thanks Kate! I can’t get him to cook without the hat (and spaceship apron) 😉
Wow! That looks so utterly delicious!
That cakes sounds delicious. I love anything with almond in.
Me too! I also find it stops the cake from going dry too quickly, so you can enjoy it for longer (IF you don’t eat it all immediately)…
Bookmarked! What a scrummy looking cake I love!
Yummy, that cake looks great – perfect for these cold, wintry days!! Love the pictures with the chef’s hat!!
Absolutely – no bikini diets needed in this weather…
Your little Chef looks adorable. I can see the cake Was made with love! Could so do with a slice right now 🙂
Thank you – he does love baking (especially tasting) 😉
Well, I have to be honest and tell you that the way to my heart is also paved with cakes 🙂 and this one looks like one that could lead to true love 😉
Ooo you had me at the word cake! This looks yummy!
Always a winner, eh? 😀
Ooh that looks scrummy. I will definitely give that a go x
Yay – enjoy 🙂
They look delicious! I love raspberries and almonds so will definitely have to give them a try.
Don’t forget that you can make it any time of year if you use frozen raspberries 🙂
Oooo my toddler would love the pink icing on this!
Who wouldn’t? 😉
BTW – if you’re watching the E-numbers, you can purée some extra raspberries and use those to colour the icing (if you do this, you don’t need to add any water).
now my tummy is rumbling!
How gorgeous does this look! I love the taste of almond. Pinning this to try at some point. Thank you
Yay! Thank you 🙂
looks delicious! and your little one looks so cute in the chefs hat 🙂
Aaw, thanks 🙂
I love that cake quote! 😉 and great pictures 🙂 x
Thank you Charlotte!
Oh that cake looks gorgeous. I’m adding it to my list of cakes to make. I quite like the sound of the one with coconut too.
It is yummy with either – just depends on your personal preference/allergies… 😉
Oh, it looks so yummy… I like the flavor combination…
I bet is tastes like a piece of heaven
Thank you! 🙂